Workshop B1: WordPress Essentials
Instructor: Michael Tedeschi, Interactive Mechanics
Time: 9:00am — 10:45am
- What is WordPress (10 minutes)
- WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org (5 minutes)
- Setting up a WordPress site (10 minutes)
- WordPress as a CMS (10 minutes)
- WordPress Themes and Plugins (15 minutes)
- Q/A and Working Session (40 minutes)
Give a broad understanding of WordPress as a platform, how to use it, set up an instance, and add content.
Technical Requirements: Attendees should bring a laptop and install MAMP or WAMP beforehand, as well as come with an idea for a project to start building during this session. They should also download the latest version of WordPress. (3.6.1)
- Windows: http://www.wampserver.com/en/
- Pick version 2.4 for 32-bit or 64-bit depending on your machine.
- You will be required to install the Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package x86 or x64 first if you don’t already have it.
- Windows WAMP Installation Instructions
- WordPress: Download the latest version in preparation for the workshop. (3.6.1) – http://wordpress.org/download/
Note: Workshop B2 is a continuation of this workshop, but it is not necessary to attend both sessions — each can stand alone.